what is the best IDE for React?

(Jurgob) #1

My current editor is Atom + language-babel and linter-eslint plugins.
I’ve tried nuclide.io but I was quite disapointed from it. What are you using right now?

(Joe) #2

I use Sublime Text and the babel plugin and the oceanic color scheme (plus a ton of other plugins). Works really well. Haven’t experimented with eslint+react or flow integration, yet, though.

(Eric Masiello) #3

I started playing around with Nuclide. I don’t really have a favorite at the moment. I’ve been trying a bunch of them. What didn’t you like about Nuclide?

(Jurgob) #4

it was slow and it makes my atom crash.
I was also expecting and auto completition for Flow objects but it was not present

(Eric Masiello) #5

I installed Nuclide cuz of some of the React Native stuff they had built in. The ‘style inspector’ they have is cool but I was really disappointed that it doesn’t let you edit the styles of your RN app like you can in Chrome when inspecting styles of a web page.

(marher) #6

I was really hopeful for Nuclide but after a few days of getting frustrated with its responsiveness, I went back To WebStorm.

(Jurgob) #7

@marher do you use babel and eslint? I’m not using it basically becouse I was not able to configure the eslint plugin to make it work in the same way of the eslint cli command.

(Harshad Kale) #8

Since we develop our server using Rails and have been using RubyMine for that, I continued using it for React code as well. I like it very much. It supports javascript code tooling just as good as any other languages. I think it’s the same as what WebStorm is, just supports Ruby in addition. My favorite feature is ability to debug Jest tests we write.

(Harshad Kale) #9

You probably have already tried this but eslint-plugin-react plug-in has been working well for me and I invoke eslint on my chain of grunt tasks.

(marher) #10

@jurgob - No, I’m not. Webstorm gives me problems with configuring also other plugins (eg. compass)

(Joshdmiller) #11

I don’t want to be “that guy”, but I love using vim for react (and other) development. I get most things that the big boy IDEs provide in a much more lightweight environment, plus far better keybindings. It’s not for everyone, but it should be on any list of the top choices.

(marher) #12

I usually use emacs and did put some effort in setting it up for jsx but I didn’t like the result. For that reason, I use webstorm to learn react.

I must say I have not tried react and vim. Is jsx code indenting ok on vim?

(rafal) #13

I use Emacs with web-mode with great success. Here you can read about setting it up: https://truongtx.me/2014/03/10/emacs-setup-jsx-mode-and-jsx-syntax-checking

(Greg Pasquariello) #14

Can’t speak to Emacs, but Webstorm is the only one that truly does formatting correctly, compared to Atom and Sublime. Atom’s formatting (to be fair, third party) is atrocious.

(Rajikaimal) #15

I’m currently using SublimeText with react-snippets, and jscs for code style checking.

(Eisi Sig) #16

WebStorm has great support for JavaScript, React, ES2015 (some newer)… And their are always improving…

(Jurgob) #17

do you use eslint? is it working good with WebStorm? My problem was that I was not able to make it work as the cli tools are working

(Eisi Sig) #18

Yes we use eslint and eslint-plugin-react and WebStorm handles that… It supports almost all of the latest js libs/utils we use.

We do how ever run eslint cli pre-publish to get a list of all lint errors. You can however use “Inspect code” and ther you get all eslint errors + many more

(Michel Weststrate) #19

Visual Studio Code, really awesome editor (and not to be confused with Visual Studio ;-))

(Joshdmiller) #20

Apparently I missed your reply a couple months ago. In case it’s at all relevant still, vim gives me perfect indentation for JSX components. You can check out my vim config on github.