What companies are using React Native for both iOS and Android in production in 2018?

(Pete Petrash) #1

We’ve been using React Native for the past year with success on iOS and are starting plans to build an Android app. Continuing to use React Native and potentially sharing code between platforms would be ideal, but it’s not clear that support for Android is as robust as it is for iOS.

Regardless of code-sharing, are there any large companies that have successfully deployed complex React Native Android apps to production, outside of Facebook? Is the development experience as smooth as it is for iOS, or are there serious caveats?

(Rhys Powell) #2

Quite a few here in Australia.

• Stan, a local Netflix competitor, uses React Native for their iOS and Android apps
  • Domain, Australia’s largest real estate listing website, uses a mixture of native code and React Native

Outside of that

• Wix uses React Native extensively
  • Airbnb’s iOS and Android apps are predominantly React Native

(Celsius) #3

Tesla Motors

Soundcloud Pulse

Be sure to check out the interviews on http://madewithreactnative.com to hear about people’s experience implementing apps for both iOS and Android in React Native (though most of them at the moment aren’t “big companies”, but I think the Investo and the Chain React Conference App might fit that bill .

(Azarou Amine) #4

Discord Android app is written in pure React Native.

(Piyush) #5

As far as I know:

1. Airbnb
  2. Skype
  3. Uber Eats
  4. Honeywell

I personally completed couples of project on both the platforms and they works perfectly with common codebase.

(Gideon King) #6

I’m just launching my first react native app - iOS and Android. At least 95% of the code is the same. Very few gotchas in the react native code. Mostly the differences are things like styling buttons and custom modal dialogs. You do need to do a little bit of work to implement the android back button handling, and you don’t have to ask for permission to send notifications on Android - those kinds of things.

This is my first time developing for Android, and Android Studio is a pig of a thing to work with, but luckily most of it is set and forget. I’ve been developing for Mac and iOS for years, so had no issues on that side.