ReactJs Plugin Framework

(Lawrence Chase) #1

I’m curious how ReactJs would support a plugin framework for 3rd part extension of the GUI. I think due to the search terms it is difficult to find the right kind of hits for this topic. I’ve seen the plumbing for Nylas which leverages electron and ReactJs and they have a plugin concept but the enablement of that seems to be more due to electron and I’m wondering if this is possible in a web site context.

(Cameron Westland) #2

Hey Lawrence. Extensibility is a big topic! Here is a little library I’ve been working on that can help connect React Components together for the sake of extensibility:

It’s not actually released yet but you can check it out on github and play with the demos and let me know if you have any thoughts.

(Lawrence Chase) #3

Thanks I will definitely check this out. I know how I would build this in .net or java but wanted to figure out how it might work in ReactJs, including how someone would develop and deliver the extended functionality. The Nylas ( codebase has some good concepts as well like isolating failed react components so it doesn’t crash the rest of the GUI.

(Sesteva) #4

I haven’t found much examples on extensibility in react apps or doing something like importing a component remotely.
I was hoping you could share what your vision is in how would others install / plugin an extension into an app using slot fill approach
What would the process look like ?